Find out more about Bob Atkinson
How to save money on UK holidays
With many people opting for a UK break this summer, we share with you our secrets for saving money on hotels, holidays and more. Read on to see how you can make your money go further
1. Planning and research is vital to getting the right deal. Once you have an idea where you want to go, use the travelsupermarket.com price comparison service to search for hotels throughout the UK, as well as car hire to get you the best deal on the web. We search hundreds of companies in one go to bring you as much as choice as possible and at rates you would never find yourself. We also have a great deals section where we seek out all the best deals for everything from theatre breaks in London to cottages in the Yorkshire dales.
2. Consider when you go. By opting to avoid school holidays and weekends, you can often find great deals in the UK’s hotels, apartment and B&Bs. And staying away from city centres will also keep the costs down too for that overnight bed. A bit of flexibility will save you pounds.
3. Avoid the big resort areas – the bigger resort the greater the crowds, so head for more off the beaten track areas as well as less popular regions where you can seek out bargain rates in many properties.
4. Consider a self catering deal – in cities you can often find aparthotels now, great for groups and families and a way of having a home from home. You can take food with you and use the cooking facilities to make bargain meals. Caravan and holiday parks also offer self catering as well as country cottages and boating breaks.
5. Planning on eating out? – check out our vouchers site for restaurant vouchers that get you 2 for 1 deals and money off at many leading restaurants and pub chains. It all helps to make that spending money go further.
6. Going to a theme park? – whether it be a day trip or part of a bigger holiday, a trip to one of the UK’s theme parks can be costly. Yet we have great deals with Alton Towers and Chessington World of Adventures amongst others that will save you pounds on days out. See our vouchers section to download your vouchers or get online booking codes.
7. Plan your driving – if you are driving to your destination consider your petrol and food costs. We recently did a survey of UK motorway service stations and found food being marked up by 400% on the high street – so pack your picnics for the journey and save up to £20 each way on a sandwich, drink and choccy bar for a family of four. And petrol may be convenient to fill up on the motorway, but always costs more than your local supermarket or garage. So plan your fuel usage and check your route for cheaper places to stop and fill up.
8. Why not try camping or caravanning? – not for everyone, but those who love it come back for more and more. Kit yourself out with the basics using our shopping channel to find the best on line prices, then head out to the big UK outdoors. Campsites cost only a few pounds a night for your pitch and you can self cater at low prices to make an economical break. Just ensure you are prepared for bad weather with warm and rain proof clothing so it doesn’t dampen the mood.
9. Theatre and event breaks – a great way to spend a weekend in one of the UK’s big cities. We have special rates on the top shows and events from West End theatres to sports events. Check out the latest prices.
10. Need a ferry? – you can easily explore places like the Isle of Wight, Northern Ireland and Eire, the Isle of Man and the Scottish islands by setting sail on a ferry. For the latest prices and offers see our new ferry service where we compare all of the ferry companies to show you the best prices.