Weekend breaks in York are perfect for any occasion and can be enjoyable for everyone, regardless of your interests.
If you're after a short city break in York for a romantic getaway, sightseeing, some family orientated fun or even ghost hunting then you'll be in luck, as the famous city has it all.
Best of York city breaks for...
- Romance: Head down the oldest shopping street in Europe; Shambles, or why not enjoy a boat cruise down the River Ouse, followed by a lavish dining experience in one of the city's many fantastic restaurants, such as the Michelin star rated Black Swan.
- Shopping: Colourful half-timbered buildings line cobbled streets narrow as your arm span in The Shambles, selling tea sets and linens from medieval shop fronts.
- Active types: Feeling fit? Pedal towards the green, rolling hills of the Yorkshire Dales, where life slows down and tiny villages provide refreshment for cyclists.
- Sightseeing: Check out the famous York Minster, the Jorvik Viking Centre, or Clifford's Tower - the last remains of York Castle.
- Family trips: There are plenty of things for families & kids to do in York such as ghost tours, treasure hunts, Viking walks, visit York Dungeon or the massive York Maze.
York Racecourse is also a popular attraction, with some of the best horses and jockeys in the UK heading there around 7 times a year, most notably for the Ebor Festival meeting.
Throughout the year there are many different festivals held in the city such as the York festival of food and drink, where locally produced food and wine is proudly showcased, or for fans of real ale, there's the York beer and cider festival where there are over 200 beers and 30 ciders on offer to sample.
York is also home to one of the largest Christmas markets in the country, where from the end of November right through December there are many different stalls selling crafts and gifts, along with farmer's markets selling homemade food hampers, and street vendors supplying both ready to eat foods and items packed for Christmas.
If none of the above takes your fancy, there are plenty of other walks, tours, guides and events on offer throughout the year, so book your city break in York today!