February half term marks the end of the first long, hard slog since Christmas, and it's a great time to get away with the family. Make the most of the break and escape for some winter sun, take a trip to the ski slopes or the chance to visit one of the world's great cities. Where will you choose?
Where to go for February half term 2016
Escaping from wintry weather in February can be tricky, so here we round up some great ideas to help you get the holiday you need and deserve...
At this time of year you'll need to travel further afield than the Med to bask in sunshine.
Consider the Canary Islands for a good-value break with temperatures in the mid-20s and long stretches of sun. Heading further afield to destinations such as the Red Sea, Florida, the Caribbean, the Maldives, Goa and Dubai will also give you plenty of sun to top up your vitamin D levels and leave you with a healthy looking tan.
February is a great time to take a city break before high temperatures make sightseeing hard work. For the more northern cities you will need to wrap up to keep warm - but with lots to see and do they make fantastic locations for family holidays. From Athens and Rome through to Berlin and Stockholm - and of course the classics such as Paris, Amsterdam and Barcelona - there are plenty to choose from. And at this time of year you'll also get great holiday prices with cheap flights and hotels on offer.
If you don't want to travel overseas or are looking for a shorter break, there's also plenty to do in the UK - whether you want to introduce the kids to a new city or enjoy some quality time as a family on a cottage or holiday park break.
When is February half term 2016?
Find out when February half term is in your area so you can plan your break and get the best deal...
The dates of half term holidays can vary from one part of the country to another, with some lucky children enjoying a whole week off while others may have only two or three days off.
The main shutdown periods for schools in the big cities can be found below. However, do check with your child's school or local education authority for exact dates as they can vary dramatically, even within the same area.
• The South East - London schools break up on February 12 and return on February 22.
• West Country - Bristol schools break up on February 5 and return on February 15.
• The Midlands - Birmingham schools break up on February 12 and return on February 22.
• The North - Manchester schools break up on February 12 and return on February 22.
• The North East - Newcastle schools break up on February 12 and return on February 22.
• Scotland - Glasgow schools are off on February 15 and 16.
• Northern Ireland - Belfast schools are off on February 15 and 16.
• Wales - Cardiff schools break up on February 12 and return on February 22.