It's May, summer is on its way and it's a great time to use the 2013 Whit half term holiday to get a break with the kids. Whether you choose to spend the school holidays on the beach for a week, on a stimulating city break or enjoying a good old staycation on a trip in the UK, it is always wise to book early to get the best possible prices.
The Whit week half term holiday is one of the busiest travel weeks of the year as parents rush to grab some early summer sun. Good destinations at this time of year include Algarve, Spain and the Balearics, Greece and Turkey as the holiday season starts to get into full swing.
The school holidays for this week are usually centred on the last Monday in May, a Bank Holiday across the whole of the UK. The spring Bank Holiday in 2013 falls on May 27. While most schools have a week off around this day, some primary schools have a two-week break, so check with your child's school before you plan a holiday.
Read advice on planning your family holiday and tips on travelling with children on our family holidays page.
When is May half term 2013?
- The South East - London schools break up on May 24 and return on June 3
- The Midlands - Birmingham schools break up on May 24 and return on June 3
- The North - Manchester schools break up on May 24 and return on June 3
- Scotland - Glasgow schools are off on May 24 and 27
- Northern Ireland - Belfast schools are not closed for half term, although they are closed on May 27
- Wales - Cardiff schools break up on May 24 and return on June 3
- West Country - Bristol schools break up on May 24 and return on June 3
- The North East - Newcastle schools break up on May 24 and return on June 3
Dates vary within areas, by local education authority and even within individual schools so please check the exact holiday dates with your child's school. These dates are provided merely as generic guidance.