Book South Africa holidays for exquisite white beaches and lots of African sunshine or a fast-paced, vibrant city experience with a safari trip thrown in.
A collage of contemporary architecture, rural townships, imposing mountains and endless beaches, South Africa's landscape is as diverse as its people. As Zulu dancers, Indian chefs and surfers practice their skills on the east coast, arty hippies share fun-loving, glamorous Cape Town with the rich and famous. Off the coast, Robben Island provides insight into Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom. Fast-paced Johannesburg is Africa's Big Apple, an Afro-chic experience for city lovers on holidays in South Africa.
Best of South Africa holidays for...
- Kids & teens: Take the kids on a safari trip for a fun and interactive zoology lesson. Stretching over 2 million hectares, the Kruger National Park offers plenty of opportunities to spot oversized mammals, rare birds and impressive reptiles in their natural habitat.
- Romance: You don't have to be a wine enthusiast to enjoy the Cape Winelands. Framed by vine-carpeted valleys, pink sunsets and unspoilt tranquillity, this picture-perfect scenery oozes romance and is a favourite with couples keen to tie the knot.
- Active types: Choose short and steep trails or long and gentle paths to get to the top of Cape Town's iconic Table Mountain. All routes lead hikers to jaw-dropping views of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Free & cheap: Explore the mysterious world of traditional African healing at Durban's witches market. You'll see sangomas (healers) throwing crocodile teeth and snakeskin into miraculous potions and for a small charge they'll get in touch with their ancestors to reveal your future.
- Grown-up families: A world of pure fantasy deep in the African bush, Sun City captures the minds of young and old alike. Connect with nature in the rainforest, feel the adrenaline as you drop 17m down a waterfall or take your chances in the casino on holidays in South Africa.
- Babies & toddlers: The little ones will love swimming with penguins in the warm and shallow waters of Boulders Beach. Located on False Bay, this secluded cove is sheltered from currents, wind and large waves in the Western Cape.
- Shopping: Famous for its shopping, Johannesburg packs designer labels into classy malls, African crafts into roofed markets and precious Indian fabrics into lively bazaars. For late-night shopping head to the Tuscan-looking Montecasino complex.