We are now well into the summer months and the weather in holiday resorts has been hotting up and with peak season here everything is up and running. If you have yet to book your holiday for travel in the next few weeks, where can you find the best deals for a value for money break?
With both tour operators and airlines having seats to sell, we show you the destinations that are great for a break. And with a rash of special offers and slashed prices for your package holiday or low cost flight, there is lots to choose from. With a weak Euro at present you can make your money go further when you exchange your pounds for many Mediterranean countries. Remember the best prices are for September and October holidays when the schools have gone back, but there are still peak season bargains to be had.
- Greek Islands - the nation may be troubled by an economic crisis, however it still remains a firm favourite with holidaymakers looking to enjoy the many Greek islands and beaches on offer. Recent prices have seen holidays on offer for a week in a basic studio on bed and breakfast basis for under £100 per person including flights. And the summer months have superb weather to enjoy. So get going, whether it be Crete or Rhodes, Kos or Corfu or one of the many other options on offer.
- Majorca - yet another firm favourite for package holidays and low cost flights, the island is seeing a return to form, with holidaymakers attracted by last minute holidays in the sun at under £150 for packages in many resorts and savings on brochure prices of well over 50%. You can even pick up mid week flights to the island for as little as £60 return and car hire prices have kept steady during the summer allowing you to explore the island for less on a last minute car rental.
- Bulgaria - the Black Sea has always been a value for money destination and this summer is no exception. With lead in prices of under £130 and savings of up to 65% on the brochure prices, there are deals to be had. Excellent weather and a destination where your pound goes a long way outside of your chosen hotel.
- Ibiza - known for its clubbing culture and full on party lifestyle, there is also a quieter calm Ibiza just waiting to be discovered. Stay away from the bright lights of Ibiza Town and San Antonio and you can find excellent friendly and family orientated resorts such as Santa Eulalia with prices well under £200 for a week in a 3* hotel during some weeks.
- Turkey - with flights to Turkey from all over the UK, there is a vast range of property and holiday types on offer to this country. Cost of living has risen fairly dramatically in the last two years, although Turkey is still a destination which is excellent value for money for Brits. There are plenty of self catering holiday options on offer for under £200, saving around a third on the original brochure prices. And with all inclusive offers of under £300, this can really be a money saving destination in more ways than one. We have even found some holiday flights on sale at under £100 return for the coming month.
- Menorca - yet another of the Balearic Islands with great offers and one that is ideal for families with superb gently sloping sandy beaches all over the island. Only around two and half hours from the UK, the island is seeing deals from under £140 for an apartment for six through to £350 for a lead in All Inclusive option. All prices have substantial brochure savings.
- The Algarve - waters may be cooler than the med, but that doesn't stop thousands of us taking low cost flights and holidays to the Portuguese coast every year. Villa prices are on offer at under £800 per week plus flights for up to six sharing and self catering holidays can be found for under £170 a week. The one item to watch is car hire that has seen prices rocketing for last minute rentals, so book early for the best price.
- The Canaries - the year round islands of Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura and Lanzarote are often thought of as winter sun destinations; however they offer a great place to holiday through the summer months too. Flying times of four hours help to make prices a little higher than their Balearic cousins, however there are huge numbers of one week holidays on offer for around the £200 mark this year, especially self catering. And these are savings of up to 65% on the original brochure prices. There are also plenty of deals on All Inclusive options starting at around £350 a week and if you want to explore your chosen island, car hire is at rock bottom prices as well this year.
- Cyprus - another firm British favourite with a wide range of accommodation from self catering at around the £200 mark through to luxury 5* hotels and spa complexes starting at only £430 for a week on bed and breakfast this June.
- Egypt - Red Sea, Nile or Mediterranean coast, there are a wide range of sun based destinations to choose from for an Egyptian holiday. Cheap as chips once you get to resort and something a little different to the normal resorts we are used to in the Med. The value extends to the holiday types on offer with All Inclusive breaks starting at only £450 for week on the Red Sea.