home
in

Warning - Using your (Visa) debit card to purchase travellers cheques at a Post Office

Last post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 7:52 AM by Roger H 1980. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Feb 15 2012, 7:52 AM

Re: Warning - Using your (Visa) debit card to purchase travellers cheques at a Post Office

Try an old fashioned tac.

Write to the bank with the full details asking for a copy of the contractural terms that they clearly imply you must have signed up to ref. money being deducted without your prior agreement.

Make it clear that the letter is cc to your local newspaper. (Newspapers need stories - it's their life blood and your story is very topical today.)

Your local branch manager DOES have the authority to address the issue and refund you.

If no response then change banks. Be aware though that today no bank has any loyalty to it's customers. They're a money making machine and we are just the material on the conveyor belt.

Don't get mad, get even.

Roger.

•  Fri, Jan 27 2012, 1:41 PM

Warning - Using your (Visa) debit card to purchase travellers cheques at a Post Office

I purchased some travellers cheques from the Post Office and was surprised to find that a charge of £10.15 appeared on my (Co-operative) bank statement A) without me being aware that the charge was going to be made, and B) without my prior authorisation I've discussed the charge with my bank who were very unhelpful & said that it was a charge levied by Visa International that I'd have to pay. This kind of sharp practice by the discredited financial industry is why they are nobody's favourite right now. But that fact that a charge can be levied without me being aware of it and without my prior authorisation is alarming. So you think your account is safe - it isn't, not even from your own bank.