home
in

Car hire in USA for young driver

Last post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 10:02 PM by disneygirl. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sun, Sep 07 2008, 10:02 PM

Re: Car hire in USA for young driver

My sister rented a car (she is 22) when she flew into Orlando with no surcharge through Usave. She used the same website as me to book it

G

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span><span style="font-weight:bold;">Note:</span></span><span><span> This post has been moderated. Please ensure you read the travelsupermarket.com Community Standards and Terms of Service before posting. Thanks.</span></span>

•  Mon, Sep 01 2008, 9:27 AM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span><span>Hi Clarestcl,</span></span>

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span><span> </span></span>

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span><span>At Avis, the young drivers surcharge is $25.00 per day for drivers aged 21-24. You will find that this is the policy amongst most of the major car hire companies.</span></span>

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span><span>Car insurance companies add a premium on for young drivers because the probability of the car being damaged amongst this age group is greater (which of course is a frustration to all careful young drivers out there). The same logic applies to car hire except the risk is even greater for us because we are not able to offer an incentive of no-claims bonuses nor are we able to see a customers accident history which a car insurance company is privy to. Therefore, to ensure we keep damage cost to a minimum we have a minimum age in place for young drivers.</span></span>

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span><span>I know that&rsquo;s not completely the answer you&rsquo;re looking for but I hope it provides some clarification.</span></span>

Stephen Spiers
    Customer Support
    Avis Rent A Car UK
    Blog: www.wetryharder.co.uk
  •  Mon, Aug 25 2008, 10:57 AM

Hi, Your best bet (after a lot of research on my part earlier in the year!) is Virgin Holidays car hire only. Take their platinum package which is £3 more a day which includes a free tank of petrol and additional/underage driver costs. We hired from Miami an economy through Virgin/Dollar (a dodge caliber), for 9 days, for £203. So just over £100 each. Which wasn't bad at all!

Hope this helps and enjoy your holiday!

•  Wed, Jul 23 2008, 5:07 PM

You will find it very difficult to get away with not having a &quot;young drivers surcharge&quot; in most countries. It is policy for all companies i know of to do this on drivers aged 21 - 24.

Looking at Orlando Florida it would seem that there is a charge of $25 per day so would add alot depanding on how long your rental is for.

Sorry I couldn't be the bearer of good news but maybe there is someone out there who knows of a company that doesn't charge for being under 25

Peter

•  Wed, Jul 23 2008, 12:35 PM

I think in the States is essential to have a car. You will make the most of your trip! Even you have to spend a bit more it is worthy :-)

I haven't heard anything about taxes for young drivers. It might depend on each car rental company.

Three months ago, I booked a car in Boston with Auto Europe and had a very good deal. They offer you Best Price Guarantee.

Prices are normally lower in September so if you book in advance you can get a good deal

Good luck!

•  Mon, Jul 21 2008, 10:58 PM

Car hire in USA for young driver

Hi,

I'm looking at going to orlando in September with a friend we really want to do the whole experiance and it seems that car hire is the best option. The buses don't run from the parks late enough or I can't find any that run past ten and the hotel shuttles are described as uncomfortable at best and inconsistant at worst. So it seems like a car is the way to go. I'm 22 and my friend is 23 and car hire seems to be really expensive with all these taxes on young drivers. It appears really unfair after all you can drive in the states from a young age and as drivers we both have clean sheets, can any one help? Do they know of any cheap car rentals or can anyone tell me about buses that run later?