home
in

Car hire problem

Last post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 2:50 PM by Andiecm. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sun, Sep 18 2011, 2:50 PM

Car hire problem

WARNING FOR ANYONE WHO GETS GOLD CAR I booked through economycarrentals.com after a family member recommended it to me. We paid £30-£40 more than other leading car hire companies (ie Hertz) but we decided to go with them because of the no excess policy. I printed out our voucher and it was GOLD CAR that we were collecting the car from at Faro Airport Portugal. We arrived in Faro to collect the car. We were asked for the card we made the booking with (which I was expecting) so handed this over and was then told on this card they would also block 750EUROS. At first we were really shocked at this, as we had booked though economycarrentals.com to get the no excess fee. I quickly called the family member who had recommended the website who informed me the money being blocked is correct and if we were ever had to pay the excess to GOLD CAR that economycarrentals.com would refund this (please read economycarrentals.com T&C’s regarding the paper work needed for a refund if you are in a crash). So we handed over the card to pay the outstanding fee and block the 750EUROS, to our shock the card was declined. We tried again and declined again, then the woman serving us said that some banks wouldn’t allow the 750 to be blocked off. Luckily we had another credit card, which allowed us to process the transaction. So please make sure you make the booking with a card you are confidant will work abroad – basically check with your bank before you travel! To make matters worse, when we arrived home my partners bank statements say there is a £10 charge for each declined transaction on the first credit card!!!!! She also tried to sell us GOLD CAR insurance on top of the economycarrentals.com no excess poicly saying we weren’t insured but I knew we were via economycarrentals.com, don’t get caught into this as it can cost you an extra 140EUROS. Also to our shock the woman serving us informed us she would also be charging us 90EUROS for a full tank of petrol and we should bring the car back with an empty tank. To say we were unhappy about this is an understatement. She said that it is written on the documents and is their fuel policy. I have now read the T&C’s for economycarrentals.com and it does state 5 different fuel policies and your fuel policy is determined locally by whichever car rental company you get. I have now double checked the GOLD CAR website which has the most ridiculous fuel policy where you pay upfront for a full tank of petrol and if you have the car for more than 3 days you DO NOT get a refund on the unused fuel. So we left the GOLD CAR office very annoyed feeling like we have just parted with a lot of money that we weren’t expecting to do so. Left to our own devices to find our car, we wondered about for ages until someone finally appeared and we asked for help. Shown to our car my partner went over the car, I’d describe the car as a hunk ‘a’ junk (Fiat Punto). The car had 4 illegal bald tiers so we promptly complained to a man in a shirt & tie (not the guy working the forecourt in a polo neck) saying the car was not in a legal state and we wanted a new better car. He appeared back and showed us to our new car, a new VW Polo in very good condition which we were pleased with. So we headed off on our 65K journey to our Villa with 800K work of fuel we were NEVER going to use. economycarrentals.com was recommended to me by someone who has used the company for over 8 years and they have never had a problem. The main issue to note is the fuel policy GOLD CAR has,. The trouble is you don’t know which rental company you will be given until you make the booking on economycarrentals.com – I’d recommend if you do book through them to then go onto the car rental company which appears on your voucher directly to check their fuel policy. However once it’s booked it is too late but it’s better to know before you travel. Everything is there in black and white, make sure you read all T&C’s and don’t get caught off guard as we did. Also check the car over and make sure its road worthy and legal.