All booked? Make sure you don't forget a thing by reading our packing tips below and downloading our handy packing lists for both you and the kids. Read more...
The well-deserved break that you have been counting the days until is finally here and it's time to dust off your suitcase to pack.
But how do you make sure you don't forget any essential items and how do you possibly fit everything you need into your bag?
Know your limits
Before you decide on which suitcase to use and what to pack, check your airline's baggage limits. Look for both the weight and size limits and don't be tempted to go over, even slightly, as charges for doing so are hefty. And don't just assume that you know these limits as you have flown recently, as they vary from airline to airline.
Make a list
Think about where you are going and what you plan to do while away and make a list of items you will need - use our list below as a starting point and add any personal items to it. Look up weather reports in your destination before you pack to make sure you take appropriate clothes. And don't forget essentials such as any medication you take, any important documents you will need and toiletries including suncream.
Do you really need it?
Before you cram your entire wardrobe into your bag, think carefully about what you will actually need while away and what you will actually wear. While it might be nice to have pair of shoes to match each outfit, ask yourself: will you actually wear them or will you stick to your comfortable flip-flops?
Pack a “capsule wardrobe” - a small number of items that can be mixed and matched to make up several different outfits - to reduce the amount of clothes you take.
How to pack
Whether you are a firm believer in rolling your clothes to minimise creasing, or if you fold everything meticulously, follow our tips below:
• Start by packing heavy items at the bottom of your case to prevent crushing and creasing everything else
• Save space and weight by packing lots of thin layers
• Tick items off your list as you pack to be sure you haven't left anything behind Pack your valuables in your hand luggage
• Don't forget to put any toiletries in your hand luggage into a clear plastic bag and make sure they are all 100ml or less
• Wear heavy items such as boots and coats rather than packing them.hide