Travel advice for your holiday

Compare 40+ trusted brands

Find your perfect holiday or hire car

ATOL protected

Book your holiday with confidence

Part of MoneySuperMarket

Saving you money for more than 15 years

Covid-19 secure

Find flexible bookings with our partners

We compare millions of holidays from the UK’s leading travel companies
jet2holidays logotui logoeasyjet-holidays logolove-holidays logolast-minute logoexpedia logoon-the-beach logo

Whether you’re a frequent flyer or an occasional holidaymaker, knowing the official advice relating to certain subjects – for example, what to do if you lose your passport, or if certain destinations are safe to visit – is essential.

Then there’s the other stuff, such as sorting your travel money or finding out about which vaccinations you might need. It’s all part of the holiday, even if it’s not the most fun bit.

Here’s our de-jargoned guide to some of the most important travel-related issues.

Discovering your passport has expired when you’re standing at the airport check-in desk is a nightmare scenario you’ll hopefully never experience.

Delaying the renewal of your passport until the last minute is a false economy, so note down its expiry date and set yourself a reminder to renew it at least eight months before it expires – many destinations won’t let you travel within six months of its expiry date, and the FCO (Foreign & Commonwealth Office) advises ensuring you’ve got at least two blank pages.

Whatever the reason for the renewal, make an appointment with the passport office at least six weeks before the date of your holiday. It’s no longer possible to turn up and queue, so book an appointment by calling the passport appointment line (0300 222 0000). Alternatively, you can renew online or by post.

If your passport is lost or stolen while abroad, you’ll need to contact the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate (the FCO has a list of contact details for British Embassies around the world).

You’ll be asked to complete an LSO1 form to cancel your missing passport. Your nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate will then provide you with emergency travel documents which will allow you to return home to the UK.

Depending on the circumstances and the conditions of your travel insurance, you’ll potentially be able to submit a claim to recoup costs associated with your emergency documentation. The amount you’ll be awarded depends on the terms of your insurance policy, and you’ll also need to supply evidence (such as a police report) and proof of the cost of the emergency documentation.

Latest travel tips and advice

Travel advice

Cash, credit cards or prepaid? The simple guide to holiday spending

When it comes to holiday money, we've all got a personal preference. Some like cash, others credit cards or prepaid. Our guide looks at the pros and cons of each.

Read moreabout Cash, credit cards or prepaid? The simple guide to holiday spending
Travel advice

How to avoid a visa rip off!

Read moreabout How to avoid a visa rip off!
Travel advice

The essential guide to renewing your passport

Read moreabout The essential guide to renewing your passport
Read more from the blog

Get your travel essentials sorted for less


Fly away with an incredible deal. Search and compare a huge range of airlines today.

Compare Flights

Car Hire

Finding the right wheels is much more than getting the cheapest price. Compare a range of car rentals.

Compare Car Hire

Travel Insurance

Make sure you find the right cover. Compare a range of comprehensive travel insurance policies.

Compare Travel Insurance


Get from A to B hassle free with an affordable transfer. Compare a range of options and save.

Compare Transfers


Whether you’re after boutique in Berlin or affordable in the Algarve, the right hotel is just a comparison away.

Compare Hotels


Make sure your ride is safe and secure while you’re away. Compare a range of airport parking deals.

Compare Parking