Getting it right in October can be tricky, but we've rounded up some sure-fire winners for a successful break...
October half term is a great time to recharge those batteries ahead of the long winter months - whether you crave sunshine or want to feed your mind and soul.
Many people will opt for some early winter sun at this time of year, trips to the Canary Islands, the Caribbean, Florida and the Red Sea in Egypt are all firm favourites. For those looking to keep costs down, the Spanish Costas, including the Costa del Sol and the Costa Blanca with perennial favourite Benidorm, are hugely popular and won't break the bank. Majorca is also a good bet, along with more exotic options such as Tunisia and Morocco. Cyprus is still warm, as are some of the Turkish resorts and Crete in the Greek islands.
Malta is also a good option at this time of year while the Algarve in southern Portugal will also give you a well-deserved break without busting your wallet. Just check the temperatures for the resort you plan to travel to.
Another great idea is a city break. Europe's capital cities offer a fantastic short break option for families, as well as people travelling without children. Paris, Berlin and Rome are just a starting point.
Alternatively, head to one of the UK's big cities such as London, Manchester or Edinburgh for sightseeing, shopping and entertainment; book a country cottage to see the countryside in autumnal splendour, or check into a UK holiday park for some family fun.
Find out when October half term is in your area so you can plan your break and get the best deal...
Below we've highlighted the main shutdown periods for schools in major cities. However, do check with your child's school or local education authority for exact dates as they can vary dramatically, even within the same area.
• The South-East - London schools break up on October 24 and return on November 3.
• West Country - Bristol schools break up on October 24 and return on November 3.
• The Midlands - Birmingham schools break up on October 24 and return on November 3.
• The North - Manchester schools break up on October 24 and return on November 3.
• The North East - Newcastle schools break up on October 24 and return on November 3.
• Scotland - Glasgow schools break up on October 10 and return on October 20.
• Northern Ireland - Belfast schools are not closed for half term, although most are closed on October 30 and 31.
• Wales - Cardiff schools break up on October 24 and return on November 3.