- Currency: Bahamian dollar (the US dollar is widely accepted as well)
- Capital city: Nassau
- Language: English (you’ll also hear Creole spoken by locals)
- Key phrase to learn: What da wybe is? (“What’s up?” or “What’s going on?”)
- Time difference: The Bahamas are 5 hours behind the UK
- Average flight time: 9.5 hours
- International phone code: +242
- Emergency services number: 919 or 911
- Public holidays: New Year’s Day (January 1), Majority Rule Day (January 10), Good Friday (Friday before Easter Sunday), Easter Monday (Monday after Easter Sunday), Whit Monday (last Monday in May), Labour Day (first Monday in June), Independence Day (July 10), Emancipation Day (first Monday in August), National Heroes Day (October 12), Christmas Day (December 25), Boxing Day (December 26).
- Link to FCO travel advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/bahamas
Compare Bahamas holidays
Cookies are small text files which are downloaded to your computer's hard drive when you visit most websites.